Monday, February 21, 2011

ohnoes

I'm out of sick days *psycho shower scene music* I have to go back to work tomorrow ; ; Oh well, according to the doctor I shouldn't be contageous anymore, and if I am it's the people at work's fault for not giving me more sick days. As if I can afford to take time off of work if I'm not being paid for it, especially with how much my hospital bill was.

In other news, I recieved an e-mail from Square-Enix, the company that made Final Fantasy XI, the soul-sucking bane of my existence for a couple years. Several months ago they released their newest online game Final Fantasy XIV, which, before it came out I was considering buying. The graphics are amazing, and it looked like a nice improvement on XI. Fortunately, for the sake of my social life, I remembered what FFXI did to me, and decided against getting it. Aparently, though, Square-Enix has lost nearly 30 million dollars on the game so far because it's just AWFUL. Everyone hates it, and is quitting the game and tossing it before their monthly fees start getting charged. The game has like 0 content whatsoever, and has about a billion and 1 bugs. It's basically a glorified beta version right now, so you can imagine how much the people who bought it, expecting a game as great as FFXI must have felt when they finally got past how awesome the graphics look and realized there was nothing to do but look at the pretty graphics.

The game is so horrible, in fact, that Square-Enix issued a formal apology to their fans over it, fired all of the people in charge of the game's development, and put in new leadership. Unfortunately, doing so seems to have been too little too late, as subscriptions to the game are still dropping rapidly, and it seems like it is completely doomed to failure.

Anyway, since they're losing so much money on FFXIV, I guess Square-Enix is looking for ways to increase revenues in other areas, and that's where the e-mail I recieved comes in. I was offered two free months of Final Fantasy XI, as well as having my character undeleted free of charge if I would only come back and become their mindless, soullesss slave once more. Yeah, thanks for the offer there SE, but I'll have to pass. I've wasted enough of my life on that stupid game, and I think I'll just keep away from it at least until the day I die. I wouldn't have thought that addiction to a video game could destroy your life just as badly as addiction to drugs can, but it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment