Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Exile Chapter 33 Rewrites

I've finished chapter 33 of the second draft of Exile and it can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.

And at last I'm back on track with work on Exile. This chapter had a few paragraphs and sentances here and there that got carried over from the first draft to the second, but for the most part it was completely rewritten. I've done a lot more of dragging Mal through the coals in this draft so he had a lot more to think about on his way down to the Oracle's chamber. Also, he's a lot smarter than I gave him credit for in the first draft and he's realized that the Oracle has been trying to manipulate him, so he's pissed off at her rather than civil and asking her questions that serve no purpose but to move the plot along like in the first draft. Also, the Dark God has given a couple hints as to why he hates humans so much. That was one of the difficulties in writing this chapter, I didn't want to give too much of that away, because there is a big scene later on where Mal and the Dark God fight each other face to face that I'm adding to this draft, where the Dark God tells the whole story. So I didn't want to give away too much, but enough for you to know that he once loved someone, and something horrible happened to her, and because of that he has vowed to destroy all of humanity.

The first draft of this story ended at 117,352 words.
The second draft is currently at 199,551 words.

I've just about hit the 200k word mark, which if you didn't know, is usually the cut off point where an editor will tell a writer that it is too long and needs to be cut down to size or split into multiple volumes. My final draft will get cut down by quite a bit, I cut nearly 100k words from Beyond the Lost Horizon in the final draft, so I'm pretty sure that I can end up below the 200k mark with the finished manuscript, but for now it's going to balloon up to giganto-size.

No comments:

Post a Comment