Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spires of Infinity Chapter 40

I've finished the first draft of Spires of Infinity Chapter 40 and it can be downloaded at teh bottom of this page.

I'm from the generation that grew up on Star Wars, and the Wheel of Time, and other such great stories. There's one thing that these stories all have in common. There is always an epic duel in the end that just blows your mind with how awesome it is. In my opinion no story is complete without one. Now, I'm not saying that my duel is quite that awesome in it's first draft here, but I have to say it is pretty darn cool. You've got two people fighting on a catwalk that runs right next to a black hole with the gravitational lensing effect bending and twisting everything around them. Their blades are sparking against everything they hit, and bit of an urgency is hanging in the air, in that Gabriel has to hold off the Apostle for a certain amount of time before he can complete his mission.

Now, I realize this duel is not very impressive in its current form, and I really need to work on the imagery and such in the later drafts, but that's kinda the point. The first draft is supposed to have holes and flaws in it. That's why you write it, so you can improve on it. So don't be too disappointed if the epic duel isn't quite so epic as you were hoping it would be, but it will get better in later drafts.

The first draft of this story is now at 144,736 words out of an estimated 160,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment