Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Chapters 33 & 34

The First draft of Spires of Infinity Chapters 33 and 34 are done, you can download them at the bottom of this page .

In these chapters Gabriel goes back in time, everyone left behind prepares to defend the Spires of Infinity. The Apostle unexpectedly appears in the past with Gabriel, leading him to believe that the battle has been lost.

I'd like to get more from teh Apostle's point of view in this part of the story, because I've been neglecting her more than I meant to so far. However, I just can't think of a way to do it without giving away things that happen later in the story, namely how she got back to the past in the first place. I plan to go into that in great detail later on, and until it actually happens my hands are kind of tied because Gabriel is the only character now taht doesn't know what happened. So I have to stay in his head until it actually happens in the course of his storyline. Again, I'm messing with timelines here. Remember, the life of a time traveler doesn't always happen in the right order.

I got a bit side tracked by my brother moving in and by Final Fantasy 13 last week, but I'm back to working with a goal of finishing one chapter every day until I'm done. I may or may not be able to hold to that goal, but we'll see.

The first draft of this story is now at 121,907 words out of an estimated 135,000. As you can see I've already surpassed my original goal of 120k, and I will likely break past 135k as well. I might go as high as 150k with the first draft. I'm not sure how long it'll end up, but I'd like to keep the final draft under 175k. If I'm unable to get Beyond the Lost Horizon published my thoughts are that a shorter book with a more original story idea will have a better chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment