Friday, March 25, 2011

Spires of Infinity Chapters 36-40 Draft 2

I've finished chapters 36-40 of the second draft of Spires of Infinity and they can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.

I'm down to 140,000 words woohoo. So far I've cut 27,000 words in this draft. I doubt that I can cut 5000 more out in 7 chapters, but I'll try. I'll be done on tuesday or wednesday next week and holy crap I need a break from this. It just took me 8 hours to do one chapter because I couldn't keep focused on it ><

Anyway, in these chapters the climax begins, I've changed quite a bit of things to streamline it and keep up with the earlier changes I've made.

So, before I even started writing the first draft of this story I went and did a crapton of reasearch on what, exactly, a black hole would look like up close. I found a ton of theories, and crap like that, and then i read one of stephen hawking's books, and his description of what he believes black holes looks like fit my needs the best. A black hole will visibly distort the space around it, kind of like looking at things through the bottom of a bottle. the event horizon, the point at which light can no longer escape the gravity, will be perfectly sphereical, and rather than actually being black as was previously thought, it will shimmer and appear to reflect. This effect is due to the fact that a black hole is constantly spewing radiation. I used his description and added a bit of the supernatural to make it seem like a living, malevolent entity rather than the single most destructive force known to man.

No comments:

Post a Comment