Thursday, August 26, 2010

Exile Third Draft Preview

I'm still alive... I think. If I'm not then I'm blogging from beyond the grave and you should all be honored that I would take the time out of my afterlife to do so.

I've been massively sick for the last week and a half or so, and lucky me, having no health insurance, have been too poor to afford to go to a doctor, so I just have to deal with it *joy*. Being sick for my birthday was not cool, but oh well.

Anyway, I've been too dead to do any real work on the third draft of Exile until the last few days. This draft, I've decided, is going to have only the edits needed to make the ending make sense added to it. All other changes are going to wait until draft 4. Still there is a rather lengthy storyline with Patrick and WEasel that will probably be 5-6 chapters at least, and a few other little additions here and there.

I've started writing patrick's storyline seperately, and when it's done I will chop it up into chapters and put it into the draft where I think it fits well enough. These chapters are going to be rather longer than the others in the story before the ending as they need to tell a lengthy story in as few interuptions as possible. Throughout the whole story you keep hearing about the horrors of the Samirreh invasion and I never really let you see any of it firsthand, or even really an actual samirreh until the ending. With this storyline I'm going to take you into the war, and show you the people fighting it, and the horrors that they've lived through, and see with their own eyes. Before I kinda just made you take my word for it that the Samirreh are evil, now you'll get to see how evil they really are.

Anyway, after posting so much of spires and then exile draft 2 up here so often I felt like I was kind of leaving something out not posting anything to be read, so I put up a Third Draft Preview on my site, and it can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.

What this is is basically the beginning of Patrick and Weasel's storyline, how they meet, and what their relationship is like. It introdices the two characters to you early on in the book and gives you a good idea about who they are and what they're doing, and what effects their actions are having on the rest of the Four Kingdoms. Plus there's a bit of setup for the rest of their storyline with thier particular villain Lawrence. Right from the beginning you can see that this storyline is going to be very dark, but if you've read the second draft you know that it has a happy ending. Enjoy =)

I plan to have this draft completed in just a few weeks, though that depends on how long it takes me to read Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings a book he's been blogging about for years and only just got around to publishing. I've read previews of it and it is awesome so far. I may disappear into a hole for a week or two--probably 2 as it is 1008 pages long IN HARDCOVER--to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment