Friday, August 6, 2010

Exile Chapter 48 and Epilogue Rewrites.

I've finished the second draft of Exile, Chapter 48, the Epilogue, and the full second draft can all now be downloaded at the bottome of this page.

All of the loose ends are tied up in chapter 48, and the all important prophecy that started everything is fulfilled, and that's about all there is to say about that chapter, except that I did lay it on a little thick with the sorrowulness I'm afraid, but really, it's a tragedy, everyone should end up in tears, right?

The epilogue is somethign I'm very proud of. I've always hated getting to the end of the book, closing the cover, placing it back on my shelf and saying to myself, "I wonder what happened next." Well, with this epilogue I decided to do something different. As Malcolm is now in a place of vantage that he is able to watch everyone he ever knew live their lives, I give an account of where all of the characters' lives take them after the story is over to the end of their days. There is a paragraph for every character still living so you wont be left with the wondering of what happens to them next.

The first draft ended at 117,352 words. 67,771 of those words made it past the cut into the second draft.
The second draft ended at 247,112 words, just under 180,000 words of new text written just for this draft.

There's a lesson learned in that, well a couple of them, really. First and foremost, PLAN THINGS OUT BEFORE YOU START WRITING THEM!!! And second, don't be afraid to throw things out if they're crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment