Friday, April 16, 2010

Exile Prologue Edits

I started work on the second draft of Exile. Unfortunately, it's actually a bigger mess than I was thinking it was. The prologue, while way too long, is actually the part of the story that needed the least editing.

I've split the prologue up, because of the length, and it will now be three or four chapters when I'm completely finished with it. The revised prologue can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.

This new prologue is about the first third of the original prologue, with several sections rewritten completely, and a some of the wording changed in others. I've added a few paragraphs here and there to better describe the landscape and such. I took out a big chunk of info that the character Narra reminisces about, because that's kinda boring to read, and spread it around a bit a sentance here, and thought there, etc. I also have made up new terms for certain things, and began adding these to the story here.

The first draft was 117,352 words in length.
The current second draft is 117,719 words in length.

The way I revise is I first read through the story completely from start to finish, and while I'm doing that I take notes on what needs to be changed. Then I make a copy of the last draft, and then read through again, chapter by chapter, changing things that need to be changed, adding things, and rearranging things as I go along. Other than not starting over from scratch, this also gives me a good way to track my progress in that I can compare word counts. As you can see, with just the first chunk of the original prologue edited the story has already expanded nearly 400 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment