Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Exile Chapter 9 rewrites

I've finished the second draft of Exile Chapter 9 and it can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.

So yeah, day off, if you couldn't tell. Getting a lot of editing done today. With this chapter I've finished up what was chapter 3 of the first draft. Mostly the changes made were stentance and paragraph structure, with a few other things added in to fill in holes that were left in the first draft. Nothing really huge to note.

One interesting thing, is that the chapter title is a sort of parody of a japanese book series that I read translations on the internet of called Spice and Wolf, about wolf god in the form of a young girl with wolf ears and a tail, and a merchant teaming up for their own reasons and making their way through the world. Each individual book was called "Wolf and --insert what happens in book here--" There is an anime series based on the book series, but I never watched it. The episode titles are like the book titles with the "Wolf and" part. It was a pretty entertaining story, so I thought I'd give a nod toward that series with "Wolf and Village Thatcher" as the chapter title.

Also an interesting thing to note about my writing in general, not just this story, is where I get my names for towns, villages and cities. I'm a mailman, and I fill in for other carriers on their days off, so I do many different routes instead of just one every day. In the city of West Jordan, there are a whole lot of interesting street names, and every single town, village, or city in every story I've written since I started that job 8 years ago has been named after one of those streets.

The first draft ended at 117,352 words.
The second draft is currently at 131,995 words.

That's pretty close to 15,000 words that I've added in what was just the prologue and first three chapters alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment