Friday, April 5, 2013

I Am Nobody Chapter 26 Draft 4

I've finished up chapter 26 of the fourth draft of I Am Nobody and you can find it at the bottom of this page.

-150 words

Something about this chapter to note.  I had someone, I forget who, who read one of my earlier drafts of this book ask the question of why I went into so much detail describing Mia's morning routine.  Well, as I learned in Screenwriting 101 back in my college days, there's a thing that moviemakers often do when they really want to make something feel unsettling to the audience.  You show someone's daily routine several times, and make sure it's good and set in the viewer's mind, so when that routine is interrupted by something dark and unexpected, it makes a deeper and more serious impact.   Not only do you have something crazy going on, it's also disrupting something that you, the audience, were expecting to happen like clockwork as it always did, and this break in normal routine puts you on edge.  It's a bit of a cheap trick to ratchet up suspense, I will admit, but it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment