Sunday, February 28, 2010

Spires of Infinity Chapter 26

I have finished and uploaded the first draft of Spires of Infinity chapter 26. You can find it at the bottom of this page .

This is the third and final transition chapter. Now we have Kari, Jonathan and Michael together in the same place at the same time as both Gabriel and the Apostle. Now all three timelines are together at the same point in time and running at the same speed.

The purpose for these transition chapters are to move the characters around into the right places and basically set the stage for the big finale. Before I was incorporating short stories into each of the storylines to tell the story of how these people got to this point in time. From here to the end there will be no more short stories. The rest of this book will be composed of an idea that I had for a story that was too long for a short story, yet not long enough to make an entire book out of. The transition chapters help bridge the gap between the short stories and the larger story fragment I decided to incorporate into the ending because I had nowhere else to put it. They're basically tying up loose ends from previous storylines and getting the characters to the right place at the right time so everything can happen the way that it needs to for the ending, like I said, setting the stage.

I'm pretty excited to finally be getting to this finale. I've been kicking the idea for this ending around in my head for about 10 years now and I've never been able to find a story that it fit into until now. The really great thing about Spires of Infinity is that it's not one big complicated storyline, and I can basically chuck anything I want in there, write 3 or 4 chapters and move on to something else. I've been taking a bunch of old short stories that I wrote, and random ideas that didn't fit anywhere else, and they work here because of the setting, people who jump from world to world, each one it's own setting, with it's own story to tell, and huge detail is not needed because the characters will be moving on before anything like that is required. That's why this ending can fit so easily into it, because of the nature of the rest of the story it doesn't have to be a perfect fit.

I've always wanted to create a paradox in a story, and one that can work through without the help of conveniant plot holes. I've been working on the one I mean to throw into the ending here for quite a while trying to find any holes there are in it and put it together flawlessly. It's a lot harder than it sounds. When you start to think about what a time paradox really is and how it would function if it existed in the real world it can get more than a little complicated to plot out. I hope it turns out as well as I think it will. I've been working on making it believeable for about a decade now, so it better work haha. The biggest problem I foresee is that I sometimes get impatient while writing because I'm not getting through as fast as I would like to and I begin to leave out details in my haste. I'll try not to suck this one up, because I really want this one to turn out well.

I am now at 91,794 words out of an estimated 120,000. I wrote a total of 21,843 words this week, which translates to about 36 single spaced pages. To give a comparison the first Harry Potter book was 62,000 words long. And the first Wheel of Time book was 285,000 words long. So, by light fantasy standards that was a huge amount, by epic fantasy standards, not so much. I don't think I've ever written that much in one week before in my life. I can imagine doing this wor a living, it would be pretty great if I had enough time every week to write that much and still have money to pay my bills.

This next week I will likely not be posting any more chapters. There are some revisions that I need to make to my outline to reflect a few ideas I incorporated as spur of the moment type things. This could take a week or two to do. I am working on the story, just not on the writing part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment