Thursday, April 26, 2012

Adventures in Mail Delivery: Part whatever part we're on now...

Ok, sooo, There I was, delivering mail to my apartments.  There are 10 community boxes with about 30 mailboxes each in them, split into two areas, 7 in one and 3 in the other, each area with a single drop box for the outgoing mail.  If you've ever lived in an apartment you know what it's like.

I had just arrived and was unloading my truck.  It was a Monday so there was quite a bit of it.  We are taught to pick up the outgoing mail last of all so that any letters dropped in while we're still delivering can go out that day, instead of waiting for tomorrow.  A lady walked up to me and handed me a letter.  I instructed her politely to please put it in the outgoing mail slot around the corner at the office, it's the last thing I pick up and I really had nowhere to put it at the moment, so there would actually be a danger of losing it if I took it then.

She then proceeded to go on for about five minutes on how important that it was that the letter go out that day.  I told her that it would, and explained to her that I had nowhere to put it and if she handed it to me instead of putting it in the outgoing mail slot it was likely to get lost.  So, after more convincing than I believe should have been necessary, she walked over and dropped the mail in the slot.  I was getting impatient to start working, because it was a monday and there was a crapton of mail to be delivering.  The lady then came back, folded her arms and stared at me.  I waited for her to say something, but she didn't so I went to work.  She stood there looking over my shoulder for an entire hour while I delivered mail to over 200 apartment boxes.  Then she followed me over and watched me take the outgoing mail, placing it in one of the tubs I had emptied of mail while delivering.  Then she followed me over to the mail truck and watched me sort the outgoing mail into my different outgoing mail bins (stamped, metered, netflix, flats, packages, etc)  Then she followed me to the door of the truck and watched me through the window as I proceeded to sort through my undelivered mail.  (this includes mail for people who no longer live there, full coverage ads for vacant apartments, and stuff like that).  Honestly, by that time it was getting more than a little creepy.

I waved to her, gave her a smile that was probably more fake than genuine, and drove off to the second delivery area of the apartments.  As I was delivering the mail there, she walked over and stood looking over my shoulder as I finished up there too.  I asked her if she needed anything else, and she went on another rant about how important it was that her letter went out today, and asked me about seventeen times if it was going to be sent out that day.  I finally got sick of answering the same question repeatedly and left.

The very next day she came back out as I arrived and started screaming at me about how big a liar that I am because she called the people she sent the letter to and they didn't get it yesterday.  She made such a scene yelling at me that someone in a nearby apartment actually called the police.  All the while I kept trying to explain to her that just because a piece of mail is shipped out on one day doesn't mean it's going to be deilvered that very same day.  If she wanted it delivered on monday she would have had to send it off thursday or friday.  She wouldn't hear any of it, so I put in my headphones and ignored her while I delivered that area and moved on to the other one.  She followed me over again, and continued screaming at me about what a liar I am.  The police arrived and tried to settle her down, but she wouldn't be settled down.  She continued screaming and ranting at them about what a horrible liar I am and demanding that they arrest ME.

One of the cops pulled me aside and asked for my side of the story and I gladly gave it.  In the end the crazy lady tried to grab the pepper spray on the belt of one of the cops and was on the ground in handcuffs before I could blink.

The moral of this story?  IT DOES NOT PAY TO BE A CRAZY PERSON!!! SEEK HELP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment