Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Whoohoo!!!

Spires of Infinity is done. I love the feeling of accomplishment that I get when I finish writing a book. It's beyond awesome. Now, let's hope that this one is good enough to catch the eye of a publisher. I think it just might be.

What happens now is that I send it off to my agent. He will read through it and see if he can find anything that needs to be changed. If he does he'll have me make quick changes and then start pimping it out to the publishing companies that he has contacts with. He had very high hopes for being able to sell this one, as "it's generally well written and thought out, with entertaining and sympathetic characters, and is a very original idea for a story."

Anyway

The first draft finished at 166,888 words.
The second draft finished at 134,835 words.
The final draft finished at 136,134 words.

Very few changes were made in the final draft. Basically the 1300 added words were just small clarifications, and rewording of things were were worded awkwardly in my efort to cut the word count down. There were some very small continuity issues addressed, and a whole host of grammatical and punctuational errors were fixed.

The first draft took 3 months and two weeks to write.
The second draft took five weeks to write.
The final draft took one week to write.

All in all it only took me five months of actively working on this story to complete it, which, for me, is pretty amazing. I usually take a very long time to develop and write out my ideas, with at least 3 or 4 more drafts than this to get everything worked out. This story came to me very quickly, and needed very little changing from it's first incarnation to be completed, it must have been meant to be.

Anyway, I'm busy doing other things today, so I'll post the final draft maybe tomorrow on my website.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a huge accomplishment. We're proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very cool, Eric. Way to go. Wishing you the best of luck in getting it shopped around and received by a worthy publisher-

    ReplyDelete