Friday, August 6, 2010

Exile Chpater 47 Rewrites

I've finished chapter 47 of the second draft of Exile and it can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.

This chapter is rather shorter than the few preceding it. Fayt Nightfang meets his fate, and get's his just desserts *snigger* hurray for bad puns. I'll give you that on a two for one sale. And spoiler spoilers along to spoiler spoiler's spoiler, and the spoliers spoiler to spoiler her spoiler.

Okay, the cat, er, wolf is outta the bag I guess, this story is a tragedy. It does not have a happy ending at all. Patrick and Weasel's end was something I tossed in so that at least two of my characters will have something to go on living for here, because the lives of every single other character have been utterly destroyed by this point. But I basically told you up front that Malcolm was not going to be living happily ever after with anyone. He still has a destiny to fulfill, and a duty to perform. He can't do that if he's living happily ever after. That is why Silmera had to die.

This chapter contains, without a doubt, the most poetic writing that I have ever done to date, which I think a great tribute to see my favorite character of this work off to wherever fairytale people go when they die. In college many of my english professors often told me that if it's my goal to write novels I should first study peotry, as being able to say the things you want to in a poetic fashion often makes the words more meaningful, and I think that it certainly has here. I choked myself up a couple times getting it all put down on figurative paper. Killing off a character that has been a constant companion of yours for so long is a very emotional thing for a writer, or at least is is for me. I did my best to give her the best sendoff that I could.

There is one more chapter to go, and the epilogue that bring resolution to all storylines very neatly I think. I'm going to try to finish everything off tonight, as I'm on a bit of a roll today.

The first draft of this story ended at 117,352 words.
The second draft is currently at 243,451 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment