Sunday, November 1, 2015

Memories of What Never Was Chapter 11 Draft 1

So I took a couple weeks off writing because work has been somewhat ridiculous, and to save up a bit of energy for this years NaNoWriMo thingy.  I figured I might as well use it as a stick to prod myself to finish up the first draft of this rewrite.  So, seeing as how today is the first day of November, and the competition is on, I've finished Chapter 11 of the first draft of Memories of What Never Was and if you so fee the great urge to read it, you can do so by clicking here

For anyone unfamilliar with it, National Novel Writing Month is an internet self challenge that happens every November (Nanowrimo.org if you wanna join in, or find out more).  Basically, everyone starts out with the same goal, write 50,000 words in a single month.  That may seem like a lot, or not that much to some people.  For reference, a normal, mainstream novel is usually about 90,000-100,000 words long, A young adult book is usually around 75,000-90,000 words long, with stuff like epic fantasy novels being more like 200,000.  So, basically, it's a self challenge to get yourself half or more done with the first draft of a book in a single month.  And there are prizes for everyone that finishes.  Seeing as how I already had a little over 45,000 words written, I figure I can get pretty close to finishing the first draft this month if, work allowing, I keep up with it.  We'll see what happens.

So, with this chapter I introduce a new little idea I had with Brand in this latest version of this story.  I figure the prophecy of the chosen one who will save the world has been done to death if fiction, so I took that and turned it on it's head.  Brand is actually the one who is prophesied to destroy the world, and he's got heroes and champions coming out of the woodwork to try and murder him everywhere he goes to save the world from him.  I came up with this idea around 3 AM or so while suffering from insomnia and thought it was clever.  We'll see if it actually turns out to be clever or not once I'm done.  It's just that there's so many stories out there about the chosen one who will save the world, including the original version of this one, and I sat there and thought to myself, well what about the other guy, you know, the one he's supposed to be saving the world from.  Also there's a bit more character development for Kriss here.


NaNo Progress: 3100 words

No comments:

Post a Comment