Saturday, February 8, 2014

What I'm doing now.

Been a while since I posted on here.  I've been ridiculously busy.  Things are FINALLY starting to calm down after Christmas at work, six freaking weeks after Christmas.

As for writing, I've been working on a rewrite of I Am Nobody.  I've gotten some input from several people I let read it, and have been making some drastic changes to the main character's personality, motivations, and delving deeper into what scares the everliving crap out of her.  I meant this to be a something of a scary story, and none of my test readers thought it was all that frightening.  When I first started planning this story out, I asked myself, if I were a teenaged girl, what would I be most afraid of, and this is what I came up with.  But something isn't scary unless it's built up to be that way, so I've been doing a lot of work on how the character sees these things and reacts to them, showing how terrified that she is, and hopefully that will rub off on people reading it in the new and improved version.  I've also been adding in a few things to make things I thought I had explained well enough more clear, and the ending needs a bit of work too.  I wasn't very happy with the deus ex machina, wave a magic wand and everything is AOK sort of vibe that it had, and so I'm making the climax more about the character learning to control herself, rather than fighting and beating a real monster of a killer.  It's great when a character gets a big magic whatsit to save the day, but what if the big magic whatsit has a mind of its own, and wants to take over her mind and body for its own and send her packing?  It's a bit of a sick twist on a deus ex machina solution that I think will be a lot more entertaining and tense, and fit the mood of the story a lot better.  I'm now about 2/3 of the way through these revisions, and I'll do another draft after I finish to make sure there aren't any glaring plotholes or continuity errors.  After that, it's time to try selling it.  This book is probably the best writing that I have ever don, I just hope that the story, character, and writing are good enough to impress a publisher this time around.  I haven't posted any of the revisions I've made on my website as of yet, and probably won't until this draft has been completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment